Levels of histamines vary based on alcohol, but they will be in higher concentrations in beer and wine , he says. If you’re allergic to alcohol, you may experience hives, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, and wheezing.
It could also be that alcohol has a natural side effect to make people congested. Alcoholic drinks have a natural vasodilatory effect which expands blood vessels. Read beverage labels to see whether they contain ingredients or additives you know cause a reaction, such as sulfites or certain grains.
Alcohol Allergy vs. Intolerance
Symptoms of alcohol intolerance can make a person feel uncomfortable. In contrast, an alcohol allergy could become life threatening. An allergic reaction might not occur the first time a person encounters an allergen. However, they can come on suddenly, and a person could develop an alcohol allergy at any point in their life. An alcohol allergy is a rare toxic reaction to alcohol that can be fatal in rare cases. Often, what people consider to be an alcohol allergy is, in fact, alcohol intolerance. Many people with nasal polyps and asthma who react negatively to aspirin may also experience an allergy-like response to drinking alcohol.
11 Foods and Drinks to Help Soothe Flu Symptoms – Everyday Health
11 Foods and Drinks to Help Soothe Flu Symptoms.
Posted: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 07:00:00 GMT [source]
“Next to alcohol and sneezing, the inability to drink alcohol is definitely one of the things people get bummed about — that they can’t have a glass of wine or beer once in a while,” said Bosso. Key personal information, including major stresses or recent life changes. Stress can sometimes worsen allergic reactions or sensitivities.
How To Prevent Nasal Congestion After Drinking Alcohol
Though alcohol intolerance is untreatable, there may be ways to reduce the symptoms that will inevitably occur when using alcohol. This will typically involve using medications to treat the symptoms that are particular to each individual. However, drinking is usually highly discouraged in those with alcohol intolerance, as the buildup of acetaldehyde can lead to an increased risk of cancer and other serious health problems. If alcohol intolerance is due to a disease or the use of a medication, successfully treating that disease or stopping the medication will typically help resolve alcohol intolerance.